Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Super Market
When we were in the city a few weeks ago, we also stopped at another grocery store to buy popcorn kernels. Since we can't buy them in our little town! I remember Josh having a nervous break down when our American popcorn kernel supply finally ran out! ha He's as serious about his popcorn as I am about my peanut butter!
We ate microwave popcorn for a while, but it's just not the same as old fashion stove top popcorn with real butter mmmm yum. Josh did some asking around and found out from one of the Russian translators that you could buy popcorn kernels in the city of Bryansk and hour and half drive away. So from then on we have made the trek to the city to buy our kernels, and yes it is worth the drive! I'm sure the checker at the store thought we had a crazy amount of popcorn kernels! ha
Anyway while Josh ran into the store to get popcorn kernels, I waited in the pickup with the boys. I started to read the signs all around and try to practice my Russian reading skills trying to figure out what the sign says or at least how to say the word on the sign!
It took me a minute to figure out but I realized that the sign for the grocery store said, "Super Market" literally only using Russian letters to make the sounds of super market. If you look at the photo the bottom set of words sound like this s-oo-p-r m-a-r-k-e-t only a Russian would say is superrr marrrket with rolled r's. Anyway it just kinda made me smile for one that I read the sign, and for two that I actually understood what it ment!ha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment