It was a beautiful day yesterday, Merritt went out with Josh for the afternoon and I took Carter into town. It snowed earlier this week, a light fluffy sparkly snow that looks like glitter in the fields in the sunshine. And on our drive the trees were still covered in frost from the morning. It was a really pretty drive, with everything white, and sparkling, it kinda made me feel like I was in a magical winter wonderland.
I love babushkas. And they are hard to catch a photo of. Yesterday right when I got into town I spotted one and so I pulled over across the street and got a few photos.
Also right as you drive into town, is the only gas station in the area. It services an area as big as Twin Falls. And the lines to fill up get really long!
A photo of one of the main streets in Trubchevsk.
Carter was asleep by the time I got into town so I decided to pull over and do some people watching. I got a few shots to show what Russians wear in the winter time.
Winter gear is a big deal here, and so is fashion. Russians wear ALOT of fur. It's taken me a while to come around to the whole fur idea, just because I've never been around it I guess. But I'm at a point that I kinda like it. Some fur coats and hats just make me laugh they're so wild, but there have been a few that I thought I could wear.
All the women had fur trim on their coats, but this photo is the only lady that walked by that had a total fur coat, but I would say 1in 4 women where a fur coat. People dress up to go to town. They wear their best coat, hats, and boots, they look really classy. High heel black boots are the favorite boot choice among women here. I tried on a pair last week and the little shop didn't have my size, too bad!
Leaving town. Always people out walking.
I got this photo, because camo is very popular with the men, so I had to show someone in camo. I also saw a guys all decked out in camo, head to toe, and on his shoulder he had a bright pink backpack!! I wanted to get a photo, but I wasn't quick enough. I don't know if it was his normal everyday look, or if he was just carrying it that day!
This is one of the bigger grocery stores in town. You go in grap a basket and get what you need. Most Russians only buy enough food for one meal at a time. So when our family goes in for a whole weeks worth of groceries, we get alot of funny looks!! And the checkout lady is always sure to let out a few dramatic sighs while ringing up all the food!
Headed home, I was behind this tractor, he had a trailor full of wood. The funny thing was that in his back window there were about 7 CD's hanging. I guess he uses them as reflectors at night.
And at Kotlacova I saw this horse with the homemade sleigh and I had to stop and take a photo. But I did not see the man coming out of the gate!! I yelled at me in Russian, I say "Photo" and show him my camera. He stand up straight and puts his and up like a saluting soldier! I yelled "spiciba" which is thank you and drove off. The whole thing was kind of funny because I didn't know what he was going to do, but he was flattered.
I LOVE IT! So fun to see everything from your point of view! I think the authenticy of everything is just so neat! I also love that you take pictures of the people. You are so brave, haha...I think that I would be too scared to do it! Love ya friend and enjoy your day today :)!
ReplyDeleteOh and I bet you were drooling over that pile of wood that the tractor was hauling dreaming up all the ways you could use it ;) maybe not....but I do that all the time!
ReplyDeleteyes, actually I was wishing a piece of wood would fall out of the trailer so I could scoop it up and build this dumb shelf I've been wanting to build for the past month!
Delete