Sunday, December 25, 2011

Cattle Shipment

 The cows from Australia finally got here. It's a 30 day boat ride for them. These were the cattle trucks! Sad really. Just a shipping connex with holes cut out for air to get through. Each truck held 30 heifers. And each ranch ended up with around 3,000 head. So it took quite a few truck loads.


Josh helped unload at a ranch 45 minutes away from our place. They worked day and night for a week unloading trucks. Not too fun that's for sure. We drove out one day and brought a few candy bars, tooth brush and some more socks. I guess when it comes down to it, that's all you really need to survive.

 The drive was interesting because, I didn't know where I was going really. I finally got reception and called Josh and he gave me a little clearer instructions. Which was helpful. We hung around until there was a slow time and Josh could have dinner with us. Then made the drive back to our little house. Which was kinda a big deal for me for a few reasons. 1. It was dark, and 2. We were a ways from home, and 3. Josh was back at the ranch unloading cows. But it turned out just fine. The idea of it scared me a bit, but we say Christmas songs and we were got back safe and sound. It's times like those that make me feel like I can do hard things. That's a good feeling.

 Now they're working on getting all the cattle sorted and start the vaccines required during quarantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment