Sunday, February 26, 2012

Beef...it's what's for dinner!

We made a trip to the city on Saturday to this fancy store called the Metro. It was kinda like a Russian version of Costco. My favorite part was that we got to take our carts right outside to our pickup!It was pretty awesome. We found quite a few things in this big store. Our main quest was to get peanut butter. And let me tell you it was not cheap! It was 15 bucks a jar! We got 6, that's almost a 100 dollars in peanut butter, which is insane! But I must say it's hard to live without peanut butter. We were also able to buy deodorant, hershey's chocolate syrup, and get this, Lamb Weston french fries!!ha We couldn't believe that. We even found some cupcake liners! We were able to buy a box of diapers instead of the small packs of 20 we get in our little town. The box of diapers was the standard size you would get at Costco back home for about $35.00, but the price was not like back home, $66.00 for a box of diapers! Ouch.


The very best part according to Josh was...beef. We have not been able to buy beef here, and Josh has a really hard time with that. Infact he almost has a breakdown everytime we get groceries and buy more, chicken. So he was so excited to find a big package of ground beef and a roast. He didn't tell me the price of those items until we got home, otherwise I don't think I would have bought them. The roast was around 1500 rubles or $70. Thats a huge price to pay for people who have never bought beef in their life! The roast was even from the U.S.A Josh was like see it's good, it's USDA choice beef. And I was like yeah, but how long has it been since it got that stamp!ha

Although it was a very expensive trip to the city and I was in shock the whole way home. I will admit, it was pretty nice to have a beef roast for Sunday dinner instead of chicken. It almost felt like home.

Josh had the menu planned out this week, he was so excited to have some ground beef. Tonight was taco night.
This was one of the other treasures from the city. I almost cried right there in the store when I saw it. Out of all the things we can't get here in town I miss lettuce the most.
And GREEN GIANT diced tomatoes, all the way over here in Russia!
And tortillas, yes that was quite the store in Bryansk.
And TORTILLA CHIPS, and salsa!oh man it was like Christmas here! It may seem like a pretty basic meal to you all back home, but let me tell you what, it was quite the treat here in Russia! We had to drive 1 1/2 hrs to get all these supplies!
And you can tell by the look on Josh's face it was pretty awesome! ha Carter went for the lettuce first. He saw me set the table and he kept pointing to all the foods and saying ooh oooh! And tried to get Merritt's attention to show him the yummy stuff on the table. It was just so funny because, even Carter at age two knew tacos in Russia was a special treat!! Merritt's favorite was the salsa he kept saying mmm tastes like home!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my golly, you can't get beef? Oh you poor dear. I will never again complain about the lack of my favorite American products here in England or the price I have to pay for them, as it's nothing compared with what you've just had to dish out.

    Looks like a great feast, and you have such a CUTE family - they do look so very happy with their tacos! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing the things that I take for granted here in good ole US of A!! This post really had me reflecting on how much we are truly blessed here. I am glad that you were able to get some "specailty" items at your "costco"! You might have to take up a part time job just to pay for it though! I will think of you everynight when we are enjoying our "beef" here, and savor a bite just for Joshy......that way he wont have to suffer so much...just knowing that I am enjoying it for him! HAHA...love ya friend and your experience there in Russia is really starting to HUMBLE me in my selfish complaints ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tacos! How great is that! I am starting to think you guys may never come home! I bet those prices were a bit hard to swallow, but 1 1/2 hours isn't that bad to a Costco like store ;) Just a bit farther that Sheridan though I do get sick of having to drive so far for groceries. I am glad you found a place to get some variety. I am sure that helps ALOT. I found some deals over here when we went to town last and I thought of you. Hope you guys are doing well. We sure miss you and tell Josh we'll eat some extra beef for him this week! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete